I tried this out at my dinner gathering and although it was a little runny due to my inability to whip cream by hand, it was very yummy! I suggest laying your tiramisu in a glass casserole dish so people can marvel at the layers.
2 cups whipping cream
6 egg yolks
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk
250 grams mascarpone cheese (you can find this at Gourmet… also the ladyfingers)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup espresso
2 tablespoons Kahlua (or other coffee liqueur – optional)
cocoa powder for dusting
— the amounts of the ingredients will differ based on the size of your serving dish but these amounts served 10.
1. Start by making the yolk mixture – combine egg yolks and sugar over a low flame with a whisk and add in milk, stirring constantly until the mixture boils.
2. Allow to boil for 1 minute then remove from heat and cool.
3. Cover mixture tightly and refrigerate for one hour.
4. Beat whipping cream with vanilla extract until stiff peaks form (this is where I had trouble… good luck!)
5. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture (the one in the fridge) until smooth.
6. Combine espresso and Kahlua if you’re using it.
7. Arrange ladyfingers on the bottom of your serving dish and drizzle with espresso/Kahlua mixture.
8. Spread 1/3 of the yolk/mascarpone mixture over the lady fingers.
9. Spread 1/3 of the whipped cream over that.
10. Repeat – Ladyfingers, drizzle, yolk, cream, ladyfingers, drizzle, yolk, cream and then even out cream and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
11. Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.